[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:19:32 -0700

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 02:11:40PM -0400, Ron Kuper wrote:
> You want someone to explain how MIDI works?  That's a pretty tall order,
> I would suggest looking for a book on MIDI on Amazon.

Thanks, Ron.  I know how MIDI (doesn't) work.  I asked you to reconcile
how MIDI is supposed to work in the context of ALL the other stuff we've
spent the last 18 months fighting about.

The host controls parameters.  How does MIDI fit into this?

Please, show me a walkthru of what happens when I am playing back a
sequence of GMPI events, and I start futzing with the MIDI controller.

As I see it, we're either going to design something better than
MIDI (what we've been doing for a year and a half), or we should just use
MIDI.  But not both.