[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:11:40 -0400

You want someone to explain how MIDI works?  That's a pretty tall order,
I would suggest looking for a book on MIDI on Amazon.

MIDI is a control protcol.  Does that mean it's a "hardware protocol."
I don't think so.  There are dozens if not hundreds of commercially
viable software synthesizers out there whose control input is MIDI.

As a control protocol it has limitations.  It doesn't have a
representation for floats.  It makes piano-like assumptions about note
numbers.  But even with these limitations, it's survived 20 years --
TWENTY YEARS.  There aren't many protocols that can claim this kind of
success.

Today MIDI is software too.  And MIDI just works.  From a dumb consumer
card with a built-in DLS synth, to Hans Zimmer with his 20 Gigastudios
running an external rig... it just works.

A couple of years I was walking the NAMM show floor with my boss.  We
stopped by the Yamaha booth to watch a jazz trio jamming away.  The horn
player was using a MIDI wind controller, streaming dumb 7 or 14 bit
integers with 0-127 note numbers.  He didn't seem to notice or care.

Why do we want to throw aside something so successful and robust?