[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:49:32 -0400

>I would not like adding some NEW MESSAGES to carry floats; I would only
>accept enlarging the fields of the existing messages and adding
>timestamps and IDs.
><<<
>
>But that loses backwards compatability.  For boring musical applications
><g> a conventional MIDI voice message would probably cover 90% of the
>use cases.
>
>What I had in mind was more like how MIDI Machine Control works.  Define
>a space of realtime SysX messages and format their contents whatever we
>need for GMPI.  Then GMPI supports these, plus the usual voice, CC and
>xRPN messages.

this isn't the only problem with MIDI. whether you agree with michael
about the musical limitations/implications of MIDI, there is the
control issue. MIDI CC's and xRPN's do not have enough semantics to
support full control of GMPI plugins, as i think you've recognized
above.

this would mean that you'd essentially be wrapping a GMPI control
protocol in MIDI.

and what exactly is the benefit of that? after answering that, then we
can revisit the "musical" objections :)

--p