[gmpi] OFF TOPIC RE: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Tom White" <twhite@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:44:49 -0700

I don't think this line of discussion is really relevant to
the topic anymore, so I've marked it OFF TOPIC.

> I've tried many times to simulate realistic guitar playing
> over MIDI.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean... do you mean you've
tried making music played on something other than a guitar
sound like it was played on a guitar by modifying the MIDI
events before playback?

> Sure, I can assign each string a different MIDI channel, then
> spend hours shuffling the MIDI data onto separate tracks,

I've never used any MIDI software where it took hours to move
MIDI data onto separate tracks, so I'm having a hard time
imagining your example. Could you explain what you mean? What
software are you using? What are you using for source material?

> editing pitch-bends by hand, but in the end it becomes just
> too time consuming, too much hassle.

Okay, but I don't see how the situation would be any better
with something other than MIDI as the control protocol. The
nature of a guitar is that each string can have a different
pitch bend amount, so if you start out without that you will
need to add it somehow. I would think someone someday will
write an algorithm for doing that automatically (probably
for MIDI <g>).

The other practical solution (and one which MIDI provides)
is simply to play the score on a guitar in the first place.
MIDI guitars capture individual pitch bends on every string.

But maybe I don't understand your complaint.

- Tom White