[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:34:12 -0400

Good point indeed. In fact I made a VST plugin version of Csound (now part
of the Csound 5 beta release) to enable this, so I can run Csound right
inside Cubase SX. Future versions of CsoundVST will also be able to generate
scores and send them to the host.

MIDI event timing for scored events is sample frame accurate in Cubase, and
Steinberg has their own pitch-bend field for more accurate pitch. The
controller precision problem is still a real problem.

Naturally, I am looking forward to GMPI-enabled notation and sequencing
hosts that are capable of precisely locating every grain in a cloud, or
sending individual pitch bends or other control modulations of each of many
voices.

This would enable Csound-based music, or other synthesis-based music, to
gain orchestral-scale musical expressivity. It would be wonderful.