[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:47:47 +0100

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 04:15:04 -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> Paul said:
> >nobody is
> >suggesting that a GMPI graph should not communicate with MIDI devices
> >and other software that uses MIDI. the issue is whether MIDI data
> >exists inside the GMPI graph, or merely at the edges.
>
> This discussion so far is -totally- ignoring (except for some
> acknowledgements from Tim; thanks, Tim) the existence of, and need
> for, MIDI system exclusive messages.  They -have- to be passed
> through as raw bytes in order to function.  From that POV, raw MIDI
> bytes -have- to be in the GMPI graph.

It has been proposed that SysEx be represented as a GMPI blob. It needs to
be identified somehoe - I would be in favour of addressing it to /SysEx or
similar. I didnt bother commenting to the orginal message as I though it
was an obvously good idea.

> 1) Please, you anti-MIDI-campers, explain how you propose to adapt
> the MIDI-to-GMPI-conversion-at-the-edges model to incorporate SysEx.

To be clear. I am not anti-MIDI in any way, from where I am now I can lay
my hands on 4 or 5 deviecs designed to send and/or recieve MIDI. MIDI is
great, for some things, just not for arbitrary plugin control.