[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:03:34 -0700

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 07:41:04PM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> >For Chris G. - SysEx can and should be passed to plugins essentially
> >unmolested.  That's essentially a blob parameter to start with, and
> >maps
> >nicely onto the parameter system we have been discussing.

> Also, possible problem: Would you make MIDI-SysEx a new parameter_
> datatype, to avoid collision with the already defined blob datatype?_
> If not, if there's a plug that talks both ways, how would you_
> distinguish the two packet types?

I'm not clear what you're asking..  What do you mean by "talks both
ways?".  Off the top of my head, I'd say that there should be a blob
called SYSEX to receive SysEx messages.  Problem solved, no confusion,
self documenting :)

> Also I think Martijn raised a valid point with regard to order of_
> execution in re. realtime SysEx's that arrive (in the incoming MIDI)_
> in the middle of other, long messages... what timestamp does the long_
> one get, its start or its end?  Either way, the arrival order and_

I'd guess the timestamps would be the order in which the FULL message was
received, so the tail end.  Or more likely, this is a special case.
Usually you would take the timestamp of the first byte, but if a higher
priority message came in, you'd do very simple priority inversion.  The RT
message gets the earlier timestamp, and the regular message gets the
later.  That's off the top of my head.