[gameprogrammer] Re: Fast development over multiple platforms, which language?

  • From: brianevans <brianevans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:24:35 -0600

At 01:02 PM 3/7/2005, you wrote:
>You asked for opinions, so here's what I have:
>
>First, last I heard was that "Java is slower than C++" is a rumor, and
>the only ACTUAL experiment performed showed that they're the same
>speed-wise in most things (Java did better in some areas, C++ better in
>others, but only by small amounts each time).

First of all, Java is interpreted, so it never can be as fast as a
language, such as C++, compiled into native code CAN be.  But if all you're
doing is handing off to native code libraries such as OpenGL, you may not
get much of a performance hit.  But that does not make Java itself fast
compared to native code, and it just cracks me up every time someone uses
Java and "fast" in the same sentence.

It can be fast enough, however, and I guess that's all that matters in this
day and age of 3ghz processors. :)

brian.