[gameprogrammer] Re: Fast development over multiple platforms, which language?

  • From: Szasz Pal <space@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:28:58 +0200

> First, last I heard was that "Java is slower than C++" is a rumor, and
> the only ACTUAL experiment performed showed that they're the same
> speed-wise in most things (Java did better in some areas, C++ better in
> others, but only by small amounts each time).
Sorry, I don't want to start a flame about it, but can you give us a
link to that only experiment, and can you tell me where was Java faster
then C++?

I read all your posts about hotspots, and runtime compiling to native
code, but do you really believe that a code which is fist compiled to
byte tocode to some straneg stack-machine, and then compiled again to
the native processor CAN be faster then one compiled directly to that
native processor??? And even if Java can be that fast than C++, whil I
cannot see any big game written in Java? Everybody is claiming that Java
is much easier to work in, then C++, due to the lack of pointers. So if
Java is SIMPLER and FASTER, or at least FAST ENOUGH than C++, why there
aren't so much java games?

And also, even if java vm can compile to native code, that means the
java vm have to be much bigger, in fact it has to be something like and
SDK to compile and run the game :-)

I worked a lot with java also, and c++ also. Nowadays I HAVE to work
with java, and I can see how bad it can be, mostly due to it's
implementations (I'm talking about mobile phones right now).

--
Best regards,
Szasz Pal

-- Type: text/x-vcard