[gameprogrammer] Re: Fast development over multiple platforms, which language?

  • From: "Trollfiddler" <trollfiddler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:44:08 -0000

I think the reason there are not many big games written in Java are mainly
due to Sun's lack of support for java 3D over the past few years. Yeah
they're back on the bandwagon with all this "java gaming" stuff and spinning
about their new online game engine. But that's mostly because they see an
opportunity in mobile games.

The fact is, a few Java game engines are appearing now, but they are way
behind the C and BASIC engines because they are being built from scratch as
we speak. They'll get there, and then I'm sure we'll see plenty of Java
games worth looking at and playing. You have to remember that everyone got
in the habit of waiting for Sun to bring out reference implementations of
every new API, and then developed it from there. They did such a useless job
on Java 3D that people got fed up waiting and decided it was a dead duck.
Sure enough Sun dumped it at the earliest opportunity. Now they're all cosy
with it again 'cos it might have some use. But that long waste of time over
the last few years has put Java gaming light years behind anything else. It
will happen though.

T.