[gameprogrammer] Re: 3D C++/DirectX programmer wanted

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:42:31 +0100

On Saturday 10 December 2005 07.39, Chris Nystrom wrote:
[...]
> I wonder though, if one works harder on one's own projects, than one
> would work for an employer?

I don't think it's that simple. AFAIK, the vast majority of spare time
game projects are never finished! It's too easy to give up when
motivation fades and it all just seems like hard, boring work that
you aren't even getting paid for.

I suspect that motivation factors add up, or maybe even multiply. If
you get paid, you probably keep working - for some time, at least -
even if money is about the only motivation you have. If you're having
fun, you keep working, at least as long as you're still having fun.

Now, what if you're having fun *and* you're getting paid, or there's a
fair chance you will start making money when done...?

> I mean, sure its a lost opportunity
> cost, but perhaps that is what they have to invest in the project?

Well, I dunno... If you invest, you want some form of return. If these
guys really want to do this just for the sake of doing it, fine.
However, I doubt that the value of the return in form of fun, gained
experience, reputation etc is even in the same order of magnitude as
the cost.

I mean, if you're going to do it all "in-house" (ie not depending on a
Free/Open Source style community), you may as well try to make some
money while you're at it. But maybe that's the plan; developing Free
technology, inspire other developers to use it and contribute to it,
and then start making money on commercial games using this
technology...?