[gameprogrammer] Re: 3D C++/DirectX programmer wanted

  • From: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:38:31 -0600

On 12/10/05, Laurence Grant <larrygrant@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There seems to be some constructive critiquing of different ideas going back
> and forth, which I guess is good, but I never expected to create such unrest
> within this forum/mailing list.  If I've upset anyone I apologize for that.

I am not the list owner, but I believe the discussion has been
on-topic and interesting. Nothing to get mad about.

[ . . . ]
>  I fill that empty void in my life
> as the founder of 3dmuve.  This is my project where I hope to someday build
> what I think would be the greatest game of all time.  I realize how far
> fetched an idea that is, and that it'll likely never happen, but without
> dreams where would we be?

Exactly. Good for you.

>  I've spoke with investors, but again since I
> don't have a history in the gaming industry they won't invest in my venture.
> Same goes for publishers.
>
> I've been told if I had something very near to completion that would
> demonstrate most of the game play, I might get an investor or publisher
> interested,

Not surprisingly investors only want to invest when it starts to look
like a sure thing.
If you can get something very near completion, and it looks like you
have a winner, you might want to self-finance and keep all of the
profit for yourself.

It seems to me that these days everyone in technology thinks about
selling out, but the ideal business plan is to plan on doing
everything without outside financing as much as possible. If it is a
good business, why sell it, even a part of it? Keep it for yourself.
This is what Bill Gates did with Microsoft, and what I would like to
do with my own project.

[ . . . ]
> I don't want to start a war or anything like that, I'm just looking for some
> people with a similar interest that find my project interesting and want to
> work with other people on a fun project in our spare time.

Best of luck to you and your project.

Chris

--
E-Mail: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>