[gameprogrammer] Re: 3D C++/DirectX programmer wanted

  • From: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:29:48 -0600

On 12/10/05, David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't think it's that simple. AFAIK, the vast majority of spare time
> game projects are never finished! It's too easy to give up when
> motivation fades and it all just seems like hard, boring work that
> you aren't even getting paid for.

For some reason there are alot of hobby programmers, but few hobby
project managers. :)

> I suspect that motivation factors add up, or maybe even multiply. If
> you get paid, you probably keep working - for some time, at least -
> even if money is about the only motivation you have. If you're having
> fun, you keep working, at least as long as you're still having fun.
>
> Now, what if you're having fun *and* you're getting paid, or there's a
> fair chance you will start making money when done...?

You may be right.

> > I mean, sure its a lost opportunity
> > cost, but perhaps that is what they have to invest in the project?
>
> Well, I dunno... If you invest, you want some form of return. If these
> guys really want to do this just for the sake of doing it, fine.
> However, I doubt that the value of the return in form of fun, gained
> experience, reputation etc is even in the same order of magnitude as
> the cost.

It is hard to say what value they put on it. I would think each
individual would have to decide for themselves.

> I mean, if you're going to do it all "in-house" (ie not depending on a
> Free/Open Source style community), you may as well try to make some
> money while you're at it.

I would not think the licensing model would matter one way or the
other. You can try to make money on open source software, too. Its
free as in freedom, not free as in beer. :)
ESP an MMO game where you could charge to access the server.

> But maybe that's the plan; developing Free
> technology, inspire other developers to use it and contribute to it,
> and then start making money on commercial games using this
> technology...?

Sure.

Chris

--