[gameprogrammer] Re: 3D C++/DirectX programmer wanted

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:32:26 +0100

On Saturday 10 December 2005 06.17, Chris Nystrom wrote:
> On 12/9/05, Laurence Grant <larrygrant@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > Secondly, when speed counts, DirectX and C++ is the best approach.
>
> Is this true? I am not trying to start a flame war. I get the C++,
> but this is the first that I have heard that DirectX is
> significantly faster than SDL.

This is based on a 3D engine, which means we're talking Direct3D vs
SDL/OpenGL - not DirectDraw vs SDL 2D.

Unfortunately, there are even 3D cards without any OpenGL support at
all out there. It also seems like MS is occasionally trying to
sabotage the performance and reputation of OpenGL by including crap
drivers or including only the s/w OpenGL implementation.

This is no big deal for hardcore gamers that build their machines for
the latest Id Software engine and grab the latest drivers from the
'net - but if you're targetting the rest of the users (the vast
majority, that is), supporting only OpenGL may hurt your chances of
succeeding on the Windows platform.

Of course, if you don't have the resources to support both Direct3D
and OpenGL natively, this means you end up with a Windows-only
product, if you decide to play it safe. (Unless the non-Windows user
base could make up for the reduction of the Windows user base, that
is. I don't know if it can at this point.)