[elky] Re: Sprint's generator nos 1, 2

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:39:29 -0800

I hope I helped. You were very fortunate to find a yard guy who is helpful. Perhaps if you replace the carb and manifold?

Clustertruck - I like that.

Mary
I went to a great salvage yard yesterday. The owner used to drive a GMC Sprint. He immediately recognized my Autozone alternator as the correct one for my year of vehicle. He also saw my "before" photo and said the old aternator belonged to a mid to late 80's GM vehicle. He sold me some alternator brackets that were identical to the ones in your photo. Unfortunately they still don't fit. I think this all has to do with the previous owner installing a 1980-ish carburetor on the car, which would presumably required replacing the intake manifold, which would then require fabbing new alternator brackets, and throw on an incorrect alternator to top it all off. What do I have now.........
.......a Clustertruck!!!   (new name for my '73 Sprint).
Still was a good weekend, though, and I'm very glad to find a friendly, patient, knowledgeable salvage yard owner. That's as good as gold.
Saul
'73 GMC Sprint
"Clustertruck"