[softwarelist] Re: Replacing pictures in OPW

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:29:52 +0100

David Pilling wrote:

In message <44DCBC76.5070203@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> writes
I'm currently working on a document that contains a number of pictures -- B&W and grayscale TIFFs created in Adobe Photoshop. Once or twice I had occasion to delete a picture (Ctrl-k), edit it in Photoshop, and (after saving it) drop it back into the same picture frame. However, instead of the new, edited picture, what appears in the frame is the original picture! Since the original should have been overwritten on the hard drive with the new edited version, I assume that what appears in the frame has been pasted from the clipboard.

I'm not quite sure what you're doing, so excuse me for saying what may be obvious.

So you've got a picture in a frame, you delete it (why bother?), and this picture is not referenced(?). You then edit the original image which exists somewhere on disc, and then drag and drop it back into the frame?

Exactly!

Why bother to delete the picture in the first place ...? Because, having seen it on the page, I decided I could "improve" on it. Happens quite a lot.

It should change in that case, and it is hard to see why it would not. I can't see why or how the clipboard can be relevant.

My (erroneous) assumption -- ctrl-k doesn't cut to the clipboard (vs ctrl-x).

[snip]

solution I have found so far is to delete the (original) picture, close then re-open the document, before dropping the updated picture into the frame.

That makes it sound like a bug. Perhaps the TIFF filter is failing, and OPW does not recognise that error and you get the previous contents.

Interesting check, create a new frame and drop the image into it, and see what happens.

See below.

"Referencing" the picture doesn't seem to help ...

[snip]

Referencing works by knowing paths to images, and there is a cache of images inside OPW, so with referencing there is a lot of scope for the type of problem you describe. That's why above I'm trying to establish that you're not using referenced images.

When I first noticed the problem, I don't think any of the pictures were referenced. Once the problem materialised, I tried referencing the pictures in question, but it didn't seem to help.

Since receiving your reply, I have carried out the following tests:

TEST 1
Create new document
Create frame
Drop TIFF image into frame
Delete picture (ctrl-k)
Open original TIFF file in Photoshop and edit it
Save TIFF
Drop updated TIFF into frame in OPW document
"Original" picture reappears (not updated image file on disk)

Create new frame (in same document)
Drop updated TIFF image into new frame
"Original" picture appears ...

TEST 2 Create another new document Create frame Drop TIFF image into frame *REFERENCE PICTURE* Delete picture (ctrl-k) Open original TIFF file in Photoshop and edit it Save TIFF Drop updated TIFF into frame in OPW document "Original" picture reappears (not updated image file on disk)

--
Clive Bonsall
C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx