[softwarelist] Re: Replacing pictures in OPW

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:41:43 +0100

In message <44DCBC76.5070203@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> writes

I'm currently working on a document that contains a number of pictures -- B&W and grayscale TIFFs created in Adobe Photoshop. Once or twice I had occasion to delete a picture (Ctrl-k), edit it in Photoshop, and (after saving it) drop it back into the same picture frame. However, instead of the new, edited picture, what appears in the frame is the original picture! Since the original should have been overwritten on the hard drive with the new edited version, I assume that what appears in the frame has been pasted from the clipboard.

I'm not quite sure what you're doing, so excuse me for saying what may be obvious.

So you've got a picture in a frame, you delete it (why bother?), and this picture is not referenced(?). You then edit the original image which exists somewhere on disc, and then drag and drop it back into the frame?

It should change in that case, and it is hard to see why it would not. I can't see why or how the clipboard can be relevant. There's nothing in the above process which involves the clipboard. OPW will let you look at what is on its own clipboard.

How do I prevent this from happening?

Well it shouldn't be happening.

Can I erase the clipboard (from within OPW)

Not as such, but you can mark a bit of text and copy that to the clipboard (and of course use the facility to view the clipboard to see what is on it).

solution I have found so far is to delete the (original) picture, close then re-open the document, before dropping the updated picture into the frame.

That makes it sound like a bug. Perhaps the TIFF filter is failing, and OPW does not recognise that error and you get the previous contents.

Interesting check, create a new frame and drop the image into it, and see what happens.

"Referencing" the picture doesn't seem to help ... it's still necessary to close/reopen the document before the updated picture can be seen (and I find that the positioning of the picture is then messed up).

Referencing works by knowing paths to images, and there is a cache of images inside OPW, so with referencing there is a lot of scope for the type of problem you describe. That's why above I'm trying to establish that you're not using referenced images.