[softwarelist] Re: OvnPro 2.77 type 5 errors

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:43:38 GMT

In message <KFOoIxAg81bJFwX0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi,

> Thanks for all the support messages. I did system restore on my XP PC,
> and then networking worked again.

> Version 2.77 of Ovation Pro for RISC OS 14th. January 2009 is available
> from:
> http://www.davidpilling.com/ovationpro/upgrade/op277.zip
> This fixes Keith's bug with rendering graphics in irregular frames.

> Meanwhile presumably I am now betwixt the devil and the deep blue sea,
> can't use the network if I upgrade Windows and open to virus's or
> whatever if I don't. Almost as soon as I had got the file from RISC OS,
> Windows told me it was ready to install an upgrade - presumably the same
> one as yesterday. Amusingly it is insisting on installing the updates,
> seemingly if I leave the computer for 5 minutes it will install them
> automatically - I may be sat here for sometime.

On XP, and probably also on Vista, this message actually means "I have
already installed the updates, and now I'm going to reboot."

The only updates, until yesterday, which did that, seem to be .NET
ones. The others politely wait until you shut down to do the work.

> I can tell you another tale. I have a "new" PC which has Vista on and
> which I don't use. A couple of weeks back I turned it on for the first
> time in nine months, naturally I didn't think it was safe without
> getting the upgrades. After a merry session of "can't upgrade without
> upgrading Windows upgrade" and "can't upgrade Windows upgrade" Windows
> installed about 40 upgrades, my PC then would not boot. I try repair
> from the CD, no good. I used system restore from the CD and it worked
> again.

This afternoon, by coincodence, a teacher asked me to look at her
laptop, which has Vista, and which the university staff had been
looking after for her. There are 18 updates which fail to install. It
goes through the shutdown routine of "installing updates", then on
reboot goes through "configuring upfdates", then failsm, and rolls
back. At the next shutdown it does it again.

The temporary solution has been to turn off automatic updates. The
enxt step is to turn Windows Update manually, and disable these 18
updates, usiong "don't show me this again".

A quick search on Microsoft suggests this is quite a common problem...

> Naturally, or idiotically I tried the upgrade again, same result, but
> this time there is no restore point - ** lesson, always create a restore
> point. ** I have to re-install Windows, not much hardship on that PC. I
> then install the upgrades a few at a time. At the moment I believe the
> trouble is called by NVidia's upgrade for their RAID drivers.

> I think we're at the point where "My PC" is no longer my PC. It is being
> taken over by others. Hardly a day goes by without Apple trying to
> install iTunes on it. If I let it then every time I insert a blank CD
> they try to sell me music.

I always choose Quicktinme rather than Quicktime with iTunes, as I
don't have any use for iTunes. It is possible to uninstasll iTunes.

Perhaps more usefully, it is possible to turn off Apple Update, or
configure which software it tries to update.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx