Re: [cpsig] RE: d1o and ROYAL HUDSON

  • From: "W.R.Dixon" <WRDixon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 23:05:29 -0800

dave hill wrote:

Royal Hudson and D10 WEll i have news to those who want a Royal Hudson well good news I had a 3/4 hour chat with Ken at Division Point Saturday morning . This is a company that is interested in building true works of art .

Dave you seem to have missed the point of the whole discussion - We want an Affordable Hudson. A Division Point model will be wonderful but I do not consider them affordable. It will be aimed at the collectors market, not the runners.

We want a runner model from an open source so that it is available easily to anyone.

Baring someone with a small fortune coming out of the woodwork to make the model there are only four reasonable choices:

1) Walthers in their P2K line. Would be around $400-$500 and have QSI sound. Pros - easily available. Cons - Not likely to happen.

2) MTH. Would be around $400-500 and have the MTH digital system in it.
Pros - reasonably available, Cons - MTH digital (vaguely DCC and motor voltage issues) and Toy Train sound.

3) True-Line Trains. Would be around $500 to $600. Would have QSI sound. Pros - would be reasonably available. Cons - no track record yet with steam engines. Hopefully this will be rectified this year.

4) Rapido. Would be $500-600. Would have MRC sound. Pros - readily available. Cons - MRC DCC. Does not yet have a track record with locomotives or steam engines.

I would accept a model from any of the above. Sound and DCC issues can be resolved by replacing the decoder. The motor in the MTH model might be a problem.

If we could wean Jason off of MRC DCC and into Soundtraxx sound decoders I would prefer a Rapido Model.

Other sources have been suggested but I would rule them out based on price or ease of availability.

Bill Dixon