Re: [cpsig] RE: CPR D-10 from sunset

  • From: "dave hill" <techill@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 00:33:49 -0500

This is one giant reason steam diappeared as fast as it did . a large train needs to get over thr division one steam engine won,t do it so you call up a second steam engine you need another enginereer and fireman two more shifs to pay for . now with deisels you couple 2 -3 -4 5 units together and they are connected electrially so one crew can run them and its easier to make them run together . so good bye to steam even though the CPR management weren,t that sold on steam they kept a numbervof steam engine in storage till 1966 thats why so many wen t tt he states they were available long after the USlocos were chopped up CPR was a small power railroad d10s all over the place no berkshires or mallets, Only a couple for a short time in the rockies . but imagine trying to run a challenger thru spiral tunnels . actually R Bowden did have a plan for Berkshires but the diesels took over regards DAVID HILL
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger T." <rogertra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>