Re: [cpsig] RE: CPR D-10 from sunset

  • From: "KVRailway" <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 22:14:01 -0800

No. I've never heard that term used on railroads in southern British Columbia, though it doesn't mean that it never was. I suspect that it may have been a logging railway term. I doubt that you'll find anybody from the class one railways familiar with that one. 'Knuckles' and 'drawbars' were the standard terminology anyplace I ever was.

As for the term 'lashups': In my part of the world; in steam days, engines were double or triple-headed or the pusher/helper may have been coupled ahead of the road engine. I remember my dad referring to an assisting engine being 'cut in' either behind the road engine or back in the train consist or just ahead of the caboose.

In diesel days, units were 'MU'd' or run in multiple unit consists. 'Lashup', so far as I know, was an American railfan term and definitely was not the standard terminology anyplace that I can recall.

Joe Smuin

1. - "Joey, the secret to telling a good railway story is to always try to stick just as close to the facts as possible." --- (the late) Cliff Inkster; CPR Engineman, raconteur and philosopher.
2. - The secret to contacting Joe by email is to be sure to insert "Joe" or "Smuin" into the main text portion of any message you send to him, and thus your message should percolate through his spam filters.
----- Original Message ----- From: <PilotRicky@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu Feb 5, 2009 7:57 pm ((PST))

You don't "Lash together" steam, only diesels.

OK… so how about couple two or three together and the engineers try to keep them all at the same speed sound instead?

Double or triple headed. Where do you think the term "Double header/headed" came from? Not from baseball but from steam locomotive operation. Dates back to the earliest days of steam railways in the UK.
These diesel era fans, I tell ya. :-)
Cheers.
Roger T.
See the GER at: -