[citw150] Re: CITW 150 L6 Q6

  • From: Robert Wagner <bgitwol@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:36:50 -0700 (PDT)

I remember researching MUD (multi-user dimension) games on a report I did a few
years ago on the history of netiquette.  At the time I hadn't really considered
how the people were playing these games with each other so long ago, since java
didn't even exist.  But now it's obvious to me that they must have been using
telnet to connect to servers.  Interesting to know.  At least I think it is.

Sarah Erwin <lccse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: From
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/Telnet.html, I
learned that TELNET connects my PC to the server.
Commands entered in the Telnet program run as if they
were being entered directly onto the server console.
This enables the control of servers and communication
with other servers to be achieved remotely. From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telnet, I learned that
Telnet is heavily used for MUD games played over the
Internet.

I practiced with Telnet at telnet://140.147.254.3.  I
learned a bit about the Library of Congress, including
fast facts and general information.  It took me a
moment to get the text-based choices to work as there
wasn't a display of the number I was typing and I
needed to press enter after entering the number of my
choice. That was not explained.  I remember using
telnet about 10-12 years ago at the University of
Illinois, so this brought back memories.

---------
"Soft as smoke and as tough as nails."  -James Taylor

Sarah Erwin
lccse@xxxxxxxxx

http://mail.yahoo.com

Robert Wagner