[citw150] Re: CITW 150 L6 Q6

  • From: cogomodo313@xxxxxxx
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:58:49 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/2007 2:35:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sandy48837keller@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi, Sandy:

Thank you for sending message regarding Q6. Now I can reply to it  and
unsubscribe from Listserv.

According to
_http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci213116,00.html_
(http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci213116,00.html)
 ,
Yes, Telnet is a great thing for some but my server would not pull  up the
LOCIS files, both under _telnet://140.147.254.3_ (telnet://140.147.254.3)  as
given in Lesson Six,  Q6 and the one you gave below. From the search I did on
Google, only CISB  classes were listed. The search through Yahoo produced a
site
_http://www.copyright.gov/records/#locis_
(http://www.copyright.gov/records/#locis)  and  by clicking  _Connect to LOCIS
using  Telnet_
(telnet://locis.loc.gov/)  a black window came up which did not allow me to
enter any
information as I am not registered with Telnet nor do I have a  password.

The following information was given on LOCIS' Usage Guide site,
_http://www.copyright.gov/records/guide.html_
(http://www.copyright.gov/records/guide.html)

"Follow these instructions if a totally black window appears when you  try to
start the telnet program:
Windows 2000: Enter the following sequence in the telnet window:
    *   Press CTRL ]
    *   Type “set local_echo” and press ENTER
    *   Type “set term vt100” and press ENTER
    *   Type “open locis.loc.gov” and press ENTER
Windows XP: Enter the following sequence in the telnet window:
    *   Press CTRL ]
    *   Type “set localecho” and press ENTER twice
If you have difficulty connecting, you may also access LOCIS by telnetting
directly to locis.loc.gov or numeric address 140.147.254.3. Contact your
Internet service provider for further assistance."
I have Windows 2003 XP so I didn't bother to gather any further information
or change any settings. I can see no reason to fix anything on the network.  I
am confused at this stage of the game. I shall now unsubscribe to Listserv.
If  you wish to contact me, please use our email sends in Angel. Thank you.
Mildred Crothers

Hi Class,
I found a website at
_http://www.elated.com/articles/telnet-and-basic-commands/_
(http://www.elated.com/articles/telnet-and-basic-commands/)  that  was
helpful in learning how telnet is used and the distinct difference between  the
telnet protocol and the HTTP protocol . Telnet would be a great tool for
working at home or if you had to fix something on the network while you  were
away.
I practiced telnet at the Library of Congress, _telnet://locis.loc.gov_
(telnet://locis.loc.gov/)   After about an  hour of unsuccessful attempts, I
was
admitted to what appeared to  be the wonderful world of DOS. I wanted to review
the libraries list of  commands and after I chose the appropriate number,
there was great  hesitation. After the initial selection, it went much faster.
The
 viewing area seems small.  To go back to the list, you put in the
appropriate number, no scrolling here.

Sandy Keller