[citw150] CITW 150 L6 Q6

  • From: Robin Mingus <mingusrobin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 18:26:55 -0700 (PDT)

Fellow classmates,

I went to http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/Telnet.htm to research Telnet.

Telnet is a terminal emulation program for TCP/IP networks such as the
Internet.  The Telnet program runs on your computer and connects your PC to a
server on the network.  You can then enter commands through Telnet and they
will be executed as if you were directly on the server.  This enables you to
control the server and communicate with other servers on the network.
FYI-Terminal emulation refers to making a computer respond like a particular
type of terminal.  Terminal emulation programs allow you to access a mainframe
or bulletin board service with a regular PC.

I chose to visit the Library of Congress via Telnet.  It seemed like a very
crude way to access information.  It actually looked like a basic programming
screen.  You were very limited on what could be looked up, you had to choose
from a few options and I was not sure what those options were.  When I chose a
numbered option it did not show my choice on the small black screen, I hit
enter and another menu option would display.  I also learned a little bit about
a program called "SCORPIO", not sure what you could do with it.

We have certainly come a very long way!

Robin Mingus

"Your potential is a great deal better than anyone will ever permit you to
believe" L. Ron Hubbard

Robin Mingus
Lansing, Michigan
mingusrobin@xxxxxxxxx