[channelf] Re: assembler

  • From: Kevin Lipe <kevin.lipe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: channelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:07:30 -0500

> >         His assembler may not be powerful enough for you guys.  But it
> > could be used to define the input and validate the output of another
> > assembler that you guys work on.

The assembler may not be powerful enough, but any sort of a
disassembler is great to have, a wonderful addition to the Channel F
"toolchain" that we're creating here... Great :) it's always good to
see assemblers and things go GPL so nuts like us can adapt them for
their own purposes.

> other than that f8 support for dasm is coming along nicely. although dasm
> is mainly written for the 6502 and similar cpus, it provides enough
> possibilities to tweak it for other cpus.

Good to hear... I was worried that the support for 6502-ish addressing
modes and such would be quite a pain for trying to implement the F8,
which is such a (lets face it) weird instruction set.

> for instance dasm's parser can handle a lot of the f8 instructions, but not
> all. for the instructions it can't handle i basically plug in an own
> parser, which in turn calls back dasm's expression evaluator to parse some
> of the operands...

Nice =) why not replace DASM's parser entirely with one that works for
both typical DASM fare and F8 stuff? Then we could give that code back
to Andrew Davie or whomever and DASM could have a nicer, newer,
more-extensible parser?

Great work though, guys... keep it up =) you're making me feel lazy =)

~ kevin