[channelf] Re: assembler

  • From: Kevin Lipe <kevin.lipe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: channelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:45:35 -0500

> what i especially meant was we should make sure that not suddenly 3 people
> are independently retargeting dasm =)

That too... sorry i misunderstood. I'm not working on DASM, because I
figured I'd wait on either a reply from Andrew Davie, or an
independent breakthrough of some sort by you... so its really between
you two guys :) Hopefully F8 support won't be too hard to add into
DASM but... the F8 instruction set is really weird... Having
programmed 6502 stuff for a while, adapting to the F8 architecture is
definitely weird.

Meanwhile, Bruce Tomlin's assembler works, and outputs to either Intel
hex or Motorola S-Record, as advertised, so perhaps we should just go
this route? I don't like having to remove all the hexfile stuff from
the binary though, I would much rather have the assembler just output
a raw binary. Maybe we can work with Bruce's code, rather than
retargeting DASM? Another thing about Bruce's assembler is that it
will only make two passes, whereas DASM makes as many as it needs to
get the job done, which allows for all kinds of things that simply
don't work in only two passes. Lots to think about. Perhaps if I
didn't just know archaic 8-bit assembly, a tiny bit of C, and all
kinds of weird esoteric languages, I could start work on a new
F8-specific assembler... but alas, I don't have the Win32 (or C++/C
skills in general) skills to do it.

Good luck :)
~ kevin

PS: What country are you from? I don't recognize the "ch" toplevel
domain... I'm from Memphis USA :)