[cad-linux] Re: CAD with server/client architecture

  • From: Jim Parker <hopeye@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 17:33:25 -0400

On 2003.05.12 17:14 Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> > The following was supposedly scribed by
> > Jim Parker
> > on Monday 12 May 2003 03:53 pm:
>
> >All my plug-ins will be written in C.  Stuff like FEA/CFD, I will use
> >system calls to programs like FELT, and create a module to write the
> >proper input file, and to process output files.
>
> I like this idea.  This was one of the first concepts I had in how to
> get
> non-cooperative proprietary programs working with the system:  they
> would be
> presented with their native file-format, created by a translator and
> after
> the program closed, this would be translated back into the core
> database.

> One problem with this is that named  geometry and associations would
> not be
> easily mantained across this interface, which is why cooperation from
> the
> front-end programs is key to making the CAD-as-Operating-System idea
> work.
>
> --Eric

The alternative to to rewrite the code to use your native format, which
I do not want to take on.  You could try to get them to change formats,
but I doubt mature projects are willing to do that.

So the best alternative after that is to use OSS projects, maintain a
source tree.  If you don't like the way a project goes, create a fork.

cheers,
Jim Parker