[cad-linux] Re: CAD with server/client architecture

  • From: "Brian Johnson" <bjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 20:29:35 +0000

I appreciate the excitment, but what db and what language is going to be used

Perhaps a review (even if only a quick one) of the databases available and the
creation of a desired feature list might be in order.  MySQL seems to be the
most
popular and one of the fastest, but perhaps other desired features would dictate
another db.  Natixe XML handling might be a good thing for instance.  Also some
of
the more advanced commit and rollback transaction abilities might be beneficial.
Running on linux or windows or other OS a needed feature?  Existing good db
management software available?  replication?

Also, processing speed will be paramount for the main app.  Is there anything
faster
than a C based system for that?  Again, before we go too far, some consensus
should
be reached.