[cad-linux] Re: CAD with server/client architecture

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 15:16:50 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Roland Krause
> on Monday 12 May 2003 02:57 pm:

>Lee,
>allright then. Let's get some code started, in fact I set up a project
>this morning.
>
>My first goal is to do something really simple. I want to put a list of
>points into and outof a SQL database. I will post a tarball with source
>shortly.

Remember what someone said earlier in the thread:  something like: "it's
really easy to start coding and get a couple of lines on the screen" (whoever
owns this quote, feel free to jump in and
take-credit/correct/flame/whatever).

My point is that the design of this program is much better served by a
diagrammatic approach to how it will be structured in the larger scheme of
things.  Simple test-cases and other bits of code will be helpful in
evaluating the design decisions, but having a map to work from (with input
from the developers involved as to how feasible the map is to turn into code)
is going to be more useful than any of the bits of code in the beginning,
since it will give direction to the project and prevent repeated work.

BTW, where is this project? on sourceforge?

--Eric