[cad-linux] Re: CAD with server/client architecture

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 16:26:06 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Brian Johnson
> on Monday 12 May 2003 03:29 pm:

>Perhaps a review (even if only a quick one) of the databases available and
> the creation of a desired feature list might be in order.

Anyone familiar with STEP?  I think it is an ISO standard.  This is what has
been adopted by the AISC's EDI team to develop the CIS/2 format (which has
had considerable success in the steel-construction industry).  I think it was
chosen for its expandability and robustness, and expanding it into the CIS/2
format was supposed to have been done in an expandable way.

I've had a recent crash-course in SQL, and my understanding is that it
operates on basically 2D matrices.  While the query functions make it behave
like a much more powerful tool than a simple spreadsheet, I'm wondering if it
is the best format suited for graphics/engineering.

Would a speed or stability increase be gained by use of another format?  The
question basically has to be answered by evaluating the purpose of the system
and the functions which are going to handle the database.  Maybe an extension
to MySQL would be the place to start?

For the way I envision the system, the core would spend most of its effort
handling the database:  answering queries from software, allowing portions to
be checked-out, revision control (elections?), and maintaining the
associations between the entities.

--Eric