[cad-linux] Re: CAD with server/client architecture

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:37:20 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Jeffrey McGrew
> on Monday 12 May 2003 11:07 am:

>While Revit's database is closed, and only runs within Revit's guts,
>which is a shame, if you were able to have that database either run
>as an 'orphan' within your CAD software (as is Revit's database), and
>as a connection to a GPL-based database, the possibilities for data
>management become profound.

This is a shame.  I think the possibilities for data management and exchange
will really be profound when we have a GPL or LGPL core to work from.  If you
are basing your business model on licensing fees, but trying to create a
standard for interoperability and data management, you cut out a lot of
smaller software vendors (specialized analysis tools) and prevent in-house
solutions from being developed.  Ultimately, this stifles competition (the
basis of lock-in and closed-source models) and slow the progress of the
industry because of the constant re-invention of the wheel.

--Eric