[cad-linux] Re: CAD with server/client architecture

  • From: Lee Fickenscher <elfick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:28:56 -0400

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 10:05:40AM -0700, Jeffrey McGrew wrote:
> AutoDesk has no desire to create a standard for Interoperability;
> The biggest reason that Architects use AutoCAD today is because our
> clients and subcontractors demanded that we use DWG as our drawing
> format. DWG is closed, and AutoDesk, over the years, had made certain
> that anything threatening it's market share was bought out or
> alienated within this area. Heck, even Revit was bought off of another

What about OpenDWG? Or IGES or STEP for that matter. In all honesty, I'm
fairly ignorant on these issues. Could someone with more knowledge (just
about anyone) enlighten me as to how these "standards" would fit into
the scheme of an F/OSS CAD system?

> much time to something like this. I hope that with more Architects becoming
> computer savvy; and with things like Squeak and other easy-to-use OO systems
> developing, that some day we Architects will be able to control our own
> 'computing destiny'.
>
> 'Till then, we're AutoDesk's bitch, to out it bluntly.

Perhaps it's time to stop waiting and start working towards that day :-)
I know I'm fed up with M$/Autodesk :-)

--
Microsoft: for whom the bell tolls...