[bookshare-discuss] Re: names, pronounciation,

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 00:07:55 -0500

LOL - I know just what you mean about the people who ask me all about all the assistive stuff I use. smile. I can understand the fascination, because I always felt the same way when one of my blind friends used to make Thanksgiving dinner for all of us. She was a fantastic cook, and it always amazed me how she used braille to mark all her cooking supplies, and used things like a talking thermometer and other stuff to help her with the cooking.

The mouse movement commands with Dragon rely on visual cues by laying the screen out into a grid - but they do work very fast and that part of Dragon works exceedingly well and easily. I'm not sure how it would work if you couldn't see the screen - but I think Monica used Dragon for a while so there must be something that lets a blind user know what it's doing. The mouse stuff is so spiffy that my husband sometimes uses Dragon while he is keyboarding just so that he can barrel along and do mousing without having to remove his hands from the keyboard. It's amazing how much speed you can pick up when you don't have to switch from a keyboard to a mouse to click on something.

The NY Times columnist David Pogue has severe carpal tunnel and can't use a keyboard. He writes his columns on using Dragon, and has written several books while using Dragon - technology books! My hat's off to him - I can't imagine doing technical writing using Dragon!

Judy s.

Elfqueen wrote:
Wow! you can move the mouse with a voice command? That just blows my mind. I probably sound exactly like hundreds of people who have either cornered me or sat me down and grilled me about screen readers or Braille or anything else (not that I mind at all...I had one person once who took notes on everything I said, LOL), but that's amazing to me. Do you know I once read an article about a woman who wrote a fifty thousand-word novel with Dragon? (Well, something in that vein.) She'd injured her hands years before and had to do it that way or not at all. "That's devotion," I thought. Over half of my fifty thousand would have been "Um...uh...what should I say next...um..." *smile*

Oh, I love the things it's possible to do with computers if you mess up. It's great! LOL And embarrassing sometimes, of course. It wouldn't be technology if it didn't have the potential to annoy, embarrass, and be laughable all at once.
Blessings,
Nicole