[bookport] Re: the holidays and bookport

  • From: "Richard Ring" <ring.richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:41:23 -0600

I believe that it is clear that the Bookport can have more features and
functionality than it currently does.
I also believe a survey of users would quickly show that there are
individuals who would like one feature, and individuals who would like
another.
How will APH and Springer Design determine what features to include in
the next generation Bookport?
One factor will most likely be cost.  Many have stated that they would
like the Bookport to have the features one can have in  an Ipod.  Some
have asked for an internal hard drive, others have asked for a
full-blown note taker.  Others have asked for an equalizer and so on.
One thing to keep in mind is that APH nor Springer Design have the kind
of R&D funding that Apple or Sony have.  Nor will they ever sell as many
products as either of these companies.  Realistically, if the Bookport
as it is currently constituted were a mainstream product, its price
would be considerably less than it is now.
Therefore, it stands to reason that if a hard drive, an equalizer, and
the recording functionality of a Plextalk were to be added, the price
would have to increase.  Adding a digital camera would be one thing,
adding the software that would perform OCR would be quite another.
An Ipod is a mass market item, millions of them have been sold, and they
will probably sell a huge number as the US goes full swing into its once
a year buying orgy.   I believe that the cost factor for each feature
will have a great deal to say about which features ultimately end up in
the next Bookport.
And I also believe as I have stated before, that many on this list will
be outraged when the cost goes up by several hundred dollars as it would
have to if all of the feature requests that I've seen on this list were
honored.