[bookport] Re: the holidays and bookport

  • From: Mike Freeman <k7uij@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:59:33 -0500 (EST)

<<SOAPBOX ON>>

I'm sorry ... I've tried to hold my tongue, but ...

IMO the Book Port is for *reading*. Recording memos is a great adjunct but is secondary to Book Port's primary purpose. Likewise with the note-taking capability. Hence, I see no reason for the spell-check or for a myriad of recording formats to be supported. If you want spell-check, use a computer or Braille Note. If you want hi-fi recording, use a PTR-1.

All the extra features add extra battery drain (ask Apple about battery life problems with their latest I-pod!).

Itseems to me that APH engineers should "keep it simple, stupid"; simplicity means fewer software glitches and better battery-life. Let's use the Book Port for the purposes for which it was designed and leave the fancy stuff to others. And yes, I know; some of the other devices aren't accessible. But that's not APH's problem!

<<SOAPBOX OFF>>

Mike

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, David Edick wrote:

I would like to see the book port fully support recording in whatever format
you need. Kind of like a plextalk, without the CD.