[bookport] Re: speech

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:22:30 -0500

As someone else pointed out, the first thing that needs to be done is to
distinguish between pure hardware speech synthesis and software synthesis.
The former is easy, relatively inexpensive, and doesn't use much power. The
latter is vastly more complex to implement, especially on a device with
limited storage and processor speed. As I said yesterday, cost is one
criterion, but simplicity is another: the more complicated you make
something, the more likely it is to fail or, at least, have problems. With
this as a criterion, hardware synthesis trumps software synthesis every
time.