Re: Itunes

  • From: Darcy Burnard <darcyburnard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:56:10 -0500 (EST)

Hi Chris. For the most part I would agree with you. When choosing between a product whos producers are interested in accessibility and one who isn't, I'l take the first one every time. However, there are times where there aren't any real alternatives and we have to deal with a product which isn't as usable as we might like. I know personally I would love to be able to use the itunes music store, and unfortunately that means using the itunes software.

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Chris Skarstad wrote:

Hi

This is going to be my last word on this subject, because I think I've made myself clear as to how I feel. I kind of take issue with Darrel's comments below, only because as I said before, it, is, all, in, how, you, go, about, it.
We have to go to these companies and say you know, we would use your products, but we can't. It's all about the bottom line y'all, and the bottom line is about loss of revenue.
The thing is we have to proove to them that it would be a significant loss, and that's where the problems come in. We are clearly a minority, that much I agree with. But we should still be granted access to these products. Having a defeatest attitude, or one that is too forceful or militant, helps, no, one.
Also as I said, instead of beating our heads against the walls trying to work with companies who have no interest in making their products accessible, let's find companies who offer similar products and software programs, but who *are* interested in access for everybody. Itunes ain't the end all be all in music software, folks. To me itunes is a piece of crap, I was never really all that impressed with it, even with the scripts.
I sent a note to Red Chair software thanking them for making their program Anapod Explorer accessible to me. I'm sure they were thankful for the kind words, and it may have opened their eyes, bad pun i know but it's true, about their user base. Unlike Apple, some companies are interested in making their stuff accessible, so I say, let's work with them instead. After all, why beat your head against the wall working with someone who doesn't want to work, when you can find someone who does and get the same job done and there's less of a headache? why take the long way around.

At 07:57 PM 1/10/2006, you wrote:
Hi Gary, Steve and all,

We are deemed too insignificant for companies to be even remotely interested in forming partnerships, etc. Besides, most of the blind community is too fragmented and weak to do anything seriously effective to improve accessibility.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Wood" <k8hlx@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: <blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:37 AM Subject: Re: Itunes

Hi Steve! I think I would agree with that! I think it indeed takes teamwork! Maybe we need to work with companies as partners to get accessibility accomplished. That may be the only way! Maybe we can't get anywhere with companies by just demanding that they follow through on making things happen for us!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Holmes" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>