[bksvol-discuss] Re: opinions on blank pages wanted

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:52:30 -0600

Blank lines are meaningless to the bookshare system. You could put 0 blank lines before and after the page number or dozens and the system would view it the same way. The first and last lines on a page are considered possible headers or footers no matter their placement.

A header is the first single line of text on a page followed by a blank line.

A footer is the last single line of text on a page when it is preceded by a blank line.

The number of blank lines before a header or after a footer don't matter.

The header or footer is stripped if (1) it is a page number, (2) it is text that repeats on several other pages.

Page numbers currently only appear in DAISY books when read with the right software, but in the future, BookShare has informed this list, that will most likely change. They have indicated that they want to improve access so that braille readers and users of other software might see the page numbers as well. We just don't know when or how this will be accomplished.

I have started working on a tip about this, but I am always trying to be too thorough, and I try to write in a way that won't confuse. The result is that I am very slow.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity