[bksvol-discuss] Re: So what did we decide?

  • From: "Rui Cabral" <rui@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:56:30 -0500

Hi Everyone:
The hard page breaks are what bookshare needs here.

Keep in mind there is a difference between soft and hard breaks.
A hard break is something that is inserted in the file by hitting
control-enter usually.
This will indicate a new page.
While a soft break is something that is superimposed on the file by the
software you are using.

I am pasting in a message written by Pratik Patell on 6/6/04 regarding this
issue.
--
Folks,

If you like editting in Word, which is a horrible, horrible program--my
opinion only, you should try to make sure that when you're done, you
select all (ALT+E, A or CTRL+A), copy the text to clipboard (ALT+E, C or
CTRL+C), and, then, paste it into something like K1K.  Resave the file
to what you desire after that.  Unlike word, K1K honors the page
boundaries, however they may be set.  Word has definite ideas about the
page size.  Alternatively, In Word, open the document you're working on.
Go to the File Menu and Page Setup (ALT+F, U).  Press CTRL+tab to go to
the "paper" page in the dialog.  Tab over to the "paper size" combo.
Choose "custom."  You'll have to use the down arrow quite a few times to
get there.  Tab over to the "paper width."  You can leave this at 8.5:.
Move over to the "paper length" with the tab key.  Change this to a
rediculously high number like 20" or 25".  Your problem with page
spanning should be resolved.

Hope this helps.

Pratik

-- Rui
 Bookshare.org Unofficial Volunteer Scanning Page
http://members.cox.net/booksharescans