[bksvol-discuss] Re: New 3 hold maximum in check out queue

  • From: "Sandi Ryan" <sjryan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:49:06 -0500

Hi Laura and All,

One of your comments leads me to respond to you.  You said that people who
start volunteering together continue to work together.  This is simply not
true.  I started to volunteer a year ago, and like you, I have years of editing
and proofing and scanning experience, but I was new to Bookshare.  At the time
new volunteers were announced to the list, so we knew who was new, and I could
have worked with any of them.  At the time there were fewer than 100 books on
the checkout list, and some of them seemed daunting to me as a first proofing
task.  Also, at the time there was a training program for proofers, and one was
not allowed to proofread a real book until one had completed a test book, it
had been read by staff, and your proofing was approved.  Back then, that
process took three or four months, and by the time I was approved, two proofers
I did not know then had encouraged me to scan, and had provided me books to
scan for them.  They provided great pointers for improving my work, they had
work to do, and I got my feet wet.

I still work with these two proofers.  They have become friends, and I know
they will deal with some issues of scanning that others might miss.

But this year I have also worked with three other proofers who wanted certain
books to proof, and I offered to scan them.  This is not an exclusive clique.
The two proofers I mentioned first do not work together and have some differing
views about books and quality.  But I can work with both of them because they
are wonderful people.  The other three I've worked with are also wonderful, and
they've done an excellent job of proofing my work.  I am supposed to be working
with a new proofer, but have not received her books yet.

I think your belief that we find and stick with one or two people and are not
willing to expand is incorrect.  I know it is in my case.  But what keeps me
working with these proofers, as I said two months ago when I recommended each
volunteer have a profile (thanks for bringing that up again, Ann, though you
didn't like the idea when I suggested it), is that they are eager to proof,
they participate in searching for books they are interested in proofing, and
they stay in contact with me.  As a scanner, I am quite busy.  As a proofer
without enough books on the list to keep you busy, you could help a lot by
finding books that are not in the collection that you'd like to read.  You
don't have to buy them--I can find them usually through interlibrary loan,
which costs $1 per book--but it's my little extra contribution--and we can work
together.  I just don't have time to scan books like a wild woman and also be
responsible for feeding books to people who aren't interested enough to help
locate books.

Thanks for stating what you believe.  I hope my explanation furthers the cause
of getting volunteers who want to proof interested enough to search for books
and expand their volunteering in that way.

Sandi