[bksvol-discuss] Re: New 3 hold maximum in check out queue

  • From: Laura Shannon <brighteyes324@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:44:22 -0400

Ann,

However, you have no idea of the talents of any new volunteers. As I said,
proofing is something I've gotten paid to do, even though it is somewhat
different in nature, not that much. To deem some "expert" simply based on
the fact of length of service and/or a few people's perception could indeed
be perceived as insulting.

The fact is that those who came on board together, or have been here for
awhile together, just have a familiarity with each other. As Tracy and I
stated, we've both come to the list requesting books, and received little
response. That is because people have their little hubs they are
comfortable working within. But to suggest that new volunteers are as a
whole not as good at what they are doing is simply not always going to be
the case.

No one is trying to demean the long term volunteers nor the work that they
do. It is not supposed to be about us but about finding the most efficient
way to get the books into the collection as quickly as possible with
quality. If someone has multiple holds that are sitting there for months,
how is that really helping? Isn't it better to free up some of these holds
in order to move more books into the collection more efficiently, making
them available to all?

As for the issue of quality that everyone says the new volunteers lack,
every book is checked over before being added to the collection. I'm sure
that the Volunteer Coordinator would have an idea if a proofer was not
living up to standards when proofing books.

Regards,

Laura