[bksvol-discuss] Re: New 3 hold maximum in check out queue

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:47:12 -0400

As I recall, when we did have the jiffy proofer problem it was solved by Carrie who started noting how long a book had been checked out and if it had been checked out for about five minutes she would return it to the checkout list as not having been out for long enough for proofreading. The two jiffy proofers who had depleted the checkout list back then promptly stopped. As far as I can tell they stopped volunteering at all. That is just as well because I don't think they were interested in volunteering anyway. They were just interested in accumulating as many credits as possible. As far as I can tell there has not been a jiffy proofer outbreak since. I was the one who discovered the two jiffy proofers in the first place because I noticed that some of my own submissions went through the process almost instantly and that the checkout list was depleting, so I started looking at book histories and comparing them to the people who were proofing. At a later time when the checkout list started depleting again I suspected a jiffy proofer and I started checking again and did not find any. It was apparently just due to a large influx of new volunteers. The answer to your question of how can you be sure that your book will not be taken by a jiffy proofer is that you can't be absolutely sure. However, it is apparently rare and I, for one, have continued to submit books without holds and since those two jiffy proofers were thwarted I have never had a book checked out and promptly checked back in again yet.

On 7/25/2012 2:32 PM, Evan Reese wrote:
Tracy, all you say here about your capabilities may be true, but your argument has a gaping hole in it. If I don't put a hold on a book then how do I know that it will go to you, or someone as good as yourself, and not to someone who will "proof" it in twenty minutes? I've asked you this question before when you complained about holds but you never answered it. I ask it again. If you have a suggestion for an alternative to holds, now is as good a time as any to make it. Otherwise, it is useless to say that you may be as good as the person for whom a book is being held, since there is no way to ensure that you will get it and not some jiffy proofer.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tracy Carcione" <carcione@xxxxxxxxxx>