[bksvol-discuss] Re: Format Frustration

  • From: "Rik James" <d28rik@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:46:02 -0600

I agree here.  Had I the funds I might upgrade to K1K.  But my OpenBook
works well enough, and I actually like many of its features very well.  To
purchase a maintenance agreement for the next 2 upgrades from Freedom
Scientific is much more affordable.  But you do have to work with the
program it and learn it. Using to adjust the Settings how the Features work.
though I know some have a dim view of it.

One thing I have come to feel is this:  It really comes down to being the
work of the person who scans the book to take the time up front to check
their work as they go.   Scanning rapidly page after page and missing all
the junk just is a big headache to anyone validating or then reading.  I
can't really tolerate listening to the noise of junk characters, when it is
getting so very possible to have good clean reading material.

For me on my system, it seems I will be scanning along for many pages, with
few problems, then it is like the pc or scanner goes to take a coffee break
and starts putting in some junk.  Now, realizing this, I check each page.
If there is junk, I DELETE the page, and do it again.  Often the next scan
of it is perfect.  Many things could have caused it.  Me being lazy on the
pressing down, the computer was going after some kilobyte somewhere else, or
the taliban were saying tally-ho, I don't know.

I tried reading as I go and sometimes I do, but sometimes I just don't want
to be at the desk to read, would rather be peeling carrots and reading or
something.  So I convert the text to a temporary RTF file and read it on the
Book Port or something mobile.  I make bookmarks and note of the errors and

Just some bright ideas on an otherwise dull day!  <grin>

Thanks to the validator who did my Bob Wills biography submission, just
approved for the collection yesterday.  The Daisy file of it is a dream to
read.  (my secret motivation - the navigible Daisy file!!)  (grin)

Thanks.
Rik