[bksvol-discuss] Re: Format Frustration

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 00:47:12 -0500

Monica,

I can understand your frustration with ARK and WYNN files lingering on the
Step 1 page, but if you stop to think about it, Bookshare can't stop
accepting those formats without excluding KES as well since it wouldn't be
in Bookshare's best interest to choose one company over another.

As Kelly indicated, Bookshare chose to drop support of TXT and HTML for
submissions by volunteers since some volunteers have trouble retaining page
breaks in TXT and because HTML doesn't support page breaks.  Bookshare also
decided that any books submitted as DAISY were also best handled in-house
and has chosen to only accept that format from sources whose files they can
easily process.

Also, if you read the Volunteer Home page, you'll see that Bookshare has
added an announcement about the format change which includes a statement
that says that RTF is the preferred format for submissions.

HTH

Gerald