[bksvol-discuss] Re: Format Frustration

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:29:31 -0500

Hi Monica,
I'm sorry you're feeling so frustrated. Maybe it will help a little if I try
to explain the reasoning behind these changes.

The reason txt files are no longer being accepted is that, unless they are
created with certain programs and validated by people who know how to handle
them, they will contain no page breaks. Bookshare has a long-standing rule
that all scans must contain page breaks, and when people validate txt files
with word processors like MSWord or WordPad and others, the files may be
perfectly edited but unacceptable for Bookshare because of the lack of page
breaks. Many people don't realize that this problem exists, so they put work
into the files while their word processor mangles the formatting without
their knowledge.

As for the proprietary formats, the reason they are still accepted is that
if they contain their images they may be useful in the future as scanning
tech improves. However, in actual practice it is most useful for people to
submit books in rtf format as you are doing. Bookshare is encouraging this
more and more, and when the updated validation instructions come out they
will reflect this. This format is almost as universal as txt but it
maintains the page breaks that Bookshare requires along with other desirable
formatting.
So this isn't just an arbitrary poorly thought out change for change's sake.
Anyone who can make txt files can make rtf files, and if anyone needs help
to learn how to do this they can certainly ask the list or write to John if
they aren't on the list.
I hope this explains a little. Please don't feel compelled  to validate
books that don't interest you just because they're in arc format.  What I
try to do since I have Kurzweil is look at the list and see if any of the
kes files appeal to me. If they do I take them, but if not I look for
something in rtf that I'd like to work on.
Hope this helps a little,
Kellie