[bksvol-discuss] Re: Book without blank lines at top/bottom of pages

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:03:51 -0500

Hi Christine,

You really shouldn't have to worry too much about the blank lines at the end, but the behavior may indicate a more serious problem. If you're adding a blank line at the bottom of the page, and it's appearing at the top of the next page, you should certainly verify that the book has hard page breaks. If you are inadvertently exceeding the number of lines, as set forth by the margin and page length settings, than it would cause the software to issue a soft page break and consequently the next page would be blank if there are hard breaks present. My initial guess would be that you're dealing with soft page breaks and it is just pushing the blank line onto the next page.

Dave

At 11:43 PM 1/10/2008, you wrote:
Hi all,

I'm currently validating a book that was provided by a publisher (so it is an extremely easy validation), but there are no blank lines at the top or bottom of the pages. I am fairly new here and don't yet understand completely how this all works, but I thought that books are supposed to have these blank lines because of something that the stripper does, so I tried inserting them at the top and bottom of each page. However, each time I did this at the bottom of a page, the blank line transferred to the top of the next page. I have tried changing margins, but this makes no difference either. Are these blank lines necessary at the top and bottom of each page, and if so, how can I successfully insert them? This is a really interesting book, and since it came from a publisher, the text is perfect; so I'd hate to accept it as is (without blank lines) and have the stripper eliminate the first and last line on each page. Thanks.

Christine
Checked by AVG Free Edition.