[bksvol-discuss] Re: Book without blank lines at top/bottom of pages

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 02:24:04 -0600

Hello,

Pratik is correct in that blank lines at the tops and bottoms of pages help
ensure a high quality HTML file (derived from the DAISY). I am not aware of any
changes since we last observed that this was accurate. Page headers/footers
should be the first or last actual text on the page. After my signature, I have
included the portion of the volunteer manual that discusses this.

Sincerely,
Jake

Jake Brownell
jakeb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

3.3.6 Feel Free To Clean Up Running Headers And Footers
When a book is uploaded after validation, the Book Is processed by a tool which
attempts to do four things:

  1.. Identify recurring text at the top and bottom of each page known as
"running headers and footers"
  2.. Identify page numbers in the running headers and footers
  3.. Remove text from running headers and footers
  4.. Process the page numbers to allow easier navigation of DAISY books and
include original page numbers in BRF books
Volunteers can assist this tool by insuring that headers and footers are
consistent throughout the book.

  a.. Capitalization should be used consistently throughout headers and footers
  b.. Tabs and spaces should be used consistently throughout headers and
footers
  c.. Page numbers and text in each header or footer should be on the same line
  d.. Page numbers should be separated from text in a header or footer by a
space or tab
Note that the text will be removed by the tool if it is consistent, so the
easiest way to insure that the tool can identify page numbers is to remove the
text from running headers and footers. This is not only much easier for
volunteers, but makes the tool's job simpler as well.

If you wish to clean up headers and footers, please do the following for each
page containing a header or footer:

  a.. Make sure that if a page contains a header that the header is the first
line of text on the page.
  b.. Make sure that if a page contains a footer that the footer is the last
line of text on the page.
Note that lines containing punctuation marks or symbols, such as hyphens and
asterisks, are considered lines of text.

The following will also help prevent issues with page numbers in HTML files
when creating an HTML file using the Bookshare.org Unpack Tool:

  a.. Make sure there is a blank line before headers
  b.. Make sure there is a blank line after footers