[birdky] Sandhill cranes

  • From: linda craiger <lindacraiger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:22:12 +0000

Checked the Narrows around Barren River area today for Sandhill cranes and
found a corn field that had 2,000+ cranes feeding and standing around at 1:45
pm today.  It was 2 degrees this morning, and warmed up to about 20 degrees
during the day.  Had about 2" of snow left, with more in drifts.  Usually when
I see this many cranes, they are jumping around and flying from field to field.
 Today, they were mostly standing, and saw only a few in the air.  I would say
they are in the area for the winter and now would be a good time for folks to
drive by the fields around the Narrow Bed & Breakfast to see them.     Linda
Criager / Glasgow