[AZ-Observing] Saturday Night

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:54:37 -0700

Sounds like Phoenix had a bad night, I agree that these have been all to
regular lately, what happened to a dry and clear May?  Looking outside
this afternoon after getting out of bed and seeing complete overcast,
what is it? Did we have a major observatory put a scope online to
release this many moistions?

Got in a good night with the 18" east of Benson with Sam Rua at his
place, hampered by high clouds all night but there was usually a section
from 1/2 to 1/3 of the sky that was clear.  Just look for a haze around
the brighter objects and avoid.  The new Sky Commander worked
flawlessly, putting objects in a 30' field every time.  This allowed me
to clean out Lib, Oph, Sgr and Sco of Herschel 400 objects in a night.
Got a bit tired of globulars though and planetaries became welcome
treats. Seeing was not good all night and mars came and went with just a
couple moments, few and far between. We did a full session from dusk to
dawn, these summer nights seem short!

Have to thank Ken for the Fuzzy Spot, I followed his notes through Libra
early in the evening and enjoyed his descriptions.  I hadn't taken much
note of the constellation before.

Thanks for the invite Sam!! Sounds like we had one of the few spots in
the state.

Andrew

--

Andrew Cooper