[AZ-Observing] Re: Recharging

  • From: Tim Jones <tjmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 12:22:08 -0700

Stan,

Having run laptops off of batteries and always ending up without a charge at
some point after 30 hours or so, I would urge you to go for a small portable
generator.  They modern ones are quiet, sip gas, don’t stink up the site and
provide the power that you need for days at a time.  I got to see a
Westinghouse 1800 unit running and it was perfect for running a laptop and even
your scope equipment.  The owner told me he paid around $550 at Home Depot for
his.

Trying to keep a normal lead-acid battery charged from a solar panel will be
impossible unless you bring around 1000 watts of panels.  Your equipment will
discharge your battery much fast than a 5W panel could even try to charge in a
full 8 hours of strong sunlight.  In fact, 5W would’t even keep your laptop
running if you were running it during the day (assuming the laptop battery was
low).

Tim